Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Can we build it? Yes, WE CAN!!

This was SO MUCH FUN! My mom was in town last week and we were trying to solve my organization issues. I thought of buying a bookcase to put in the closet, but then I thought it would be really cool to maximize the space and have shelves built. My mom and I were talking about it and we thought, "Well, why don't we just do it!" So, I called Home Depot to see if they could cut the wood for us and they said they could, so we proceeded to measure out the closet space and how far apart we wanted the shelves, where they would go, etc. Anyway, we then went to Home Depot with both my kids and had someone cut the wood for us. I'm sure the workers there thought we were crazy. They kept on saying, "Good luck." I think they underestimated us. =) The whole time we were drilling in the supports I was giggling because I couldn't believe we were actually doing it!!! =) So, here is the finished product and I couldn't be happier. When I called Bob to tell him what we were up to he was very cool about it. I'm sure he thought I was crazy, too. =) I think he liked the outcome as well.
We also went to IKEA and picked up this table top and legs and chair. It was very easy to put together and it fits nicely in the space. We were using a card table before and there wasn't enough room for the laptop AND the printer. Now there is and we got a lamp, too!!
We already had this shelving unit, but the top shelves were holding some office supplies. So, we put all the office supplies in the newly built shelves and that left room to put all the kids' toys in this room. We bring them out in the living room to play with, but we always put them back at the end of the day. It's amazing how a little organization can help. As long as I keep this up I'll feel less stressed about how my house looks. And I'm always about maximizing our space!! I just needed a place for everything and for everything to have it's place. =)

P.S. Aren't you proud, Amy?!

9 comments:

Brandon and Becca said...

I can totally relate to needing the organization. We built shelves in Evan's closet, then I bought plastic tubs to put the toys in, and put pictures on the end of them. Completely OCD, but it has made it so Evan can clean his room all by himself, and he knows where everything is. I love your toy shelving unit. I wish I had a good spot for one just like it.

Kristine and Philip said...

Oh, boy, does it ever look nice! Didn't we do a nice job and had such a good time, too. I still can't believe we were using power tools and having fun doing it. Good times.

Tierra Lowry said...

Good job!! It is always fun to do a project. I love IKEA too. I really want that shelving unit you have. I have been drooling over it for awhile.

Susanne said...

Becca, WOW!! I'm so very impressed. I might call you in a month or two because that is a perfect idea for one of our closets. I'm thinking I'll do those in BOTH ends!

. said...

I totally need to do that at my house too! I feel like I have no storage. I miss my basement in Utah. Isn't it so fun when you do a project you thought you could never do. It feels awsome. way to go!

J said...

Great job Becca!!! Your mom was so excited when she got back...she bragged all about your accomplishment : ) !!! Sounds like tons of fun....

TamiRichins said...

I am so impressed!!! I love the big shelf the kids toys are on... I need one. Where did you get it. I think it's fun to do stuff like that. I told Steve that I could finish our basement. He just laughed at me, and probably for good reason.

Elizabeth C said...

I'm always looking for new ways to organize! Good job on these! Also glad to see that you guys have a blog! Do Megan & her hubby have one? Glad to see you guys are doing so well. Liz (Cheney) Our blog is: chillinwiththechandlers.blogspot.com

Becca said...

Tami - I got the cube shelving unit at IKEA. I think it was $129 and then the baskets and bins are separate. It's the EXPEDIT bookcase - comes in black/brown, white, and natural.
Liz C - HEY!! Megan doesn't have a blog. But, I'm glad you do. I'll check it out for sure!!